- Running Time
- 138 mins
- Release Date
- Directed by
- Federico Fellini
• Interview with star Sandra Milo “A Charming Spirit”
• Interview with Lina Wertmüller, the 1st woman ever nominated for an Oscar® for best Director, was Fellini’s Assistant Director on 8½.
• “The Lost Ending“ (50 min) Unique document: Fellini, Mastroianni, Claudia Cardinale, Anouk Aimée, Sandra Milo and the whole cast and crew talk about making 8½.
• Tribute to Fellini’s speech, receiving his Life Achievement Oscar®
• New improved English subtitles
Fellini is one of the most original and creative minds of the 20th Century, he is acclaimed by critics and filmmakers alike as one of the most influential directors of all time, and his “8½“ is acknowledged as his masterpiece revered as the most important European film ever made.
Marcello Mastroianni plays Guido (Fellini’s alter-ego), a successful filmmaker who, embarking on his next film, is overcome by director’s block and finds he has no story to tell ! Struggling to find inspiration, he is harassed by his producers, his crew, his wife (Anouk Aimée), even by his mistress (Sandra Milo), so he retreats into fantasy, where his muse appears embodied by Claudia Cardinale, and he revels in dreamy memories of his life and lovers… Until memories, fantasy and reality merge in the director’s mind and on screen into an astonishing, masterful spectacle, culminating in the electrifying triumph of optimism that becomes 8½.
As Fellini-Guido says “Life is a party let’s live it together!”